Sarah Northway, Indie Game Developer
Bachelor of Computer Science, University of Victoria (2001)
Sun Certified Java Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4 (2004)
Northway Games - Independent Game Development (2010 - present)
- Fantastic Contraption VR (2016): a puzzle game for roomscale VR. Built in Unity with a small team. Bundled free during the launch of the HTC Vive VR hardware. Programming (Unity C# and backend J2EE), design, publishing.
- Rebuild 3 (2015): Third installment of the popular series, and the first to be Kickstarted and released on Steam as well as mobile iOS/Android. Creator and lead developer including design, code, writing, art, publishing. Written in Flash AS3.
- Deep Under the Sky (2014): a puzzle game for PC, mobile and web. Port programming and publishing.
- Incredipede (2012): a puzzle platformer for PC, mobile and web. Programming (AS3 and backend J2EE), UI design and publishing.
- Word Up Dog (2012): a mobile spelling game. Creator and lead developer including game design, code, writing, art, publishing.
- Rebuild 2 (2011): Browser-based Flash AS3 and mobile iOS/Android sequel to the popular city building sim. Worked with an artist.
- Rebuild (2010): a city building sim series set in the Zombiepocalypse. Browser-based Flash AS3. Creator and sole developer.
Three Rings Design - Web Engineer (2007 - 2010)
- Structured user testing on multiple web applications
- Designed and implemented architecture upgrades for high traffic external websites, converting from Velocity script to Java/XHTML
- Maintained billing system for multiple games and implemented a dozen new payment methods
- Designed and wrote Laws and Disorder online multiplayer card game
- puzzlepirates.com, whirled.com, threerings.net
Salus Systems - Web Developer (2003 - 2006)
- Developed and maintained professional data-driven web applications for hundreds of concurrent users
- Created a client-rich .NET 2.0 web framework for case management systems, incorporating asynchronous request handling (AJAX) and robust UI elements
- Worked with clients across Canada to tailor public web applications to their specific requirements
- Designed unique web interfaces for over 50 websites, using modern CSS techniques, Flash, and DHTML flair
- Managed projects independently from start to finish
- retailpeak.com, constructionjobstores.com, tritonlogging.com
Freelance - Web Developer (2000 - 2003)
- Website design and programming for various clients
- Used Agile development methodology for maximum flexibility with changing client requirements
- fodreams.com, aemagic.com
Assertive Technologies - Web Developer (2002 - 2003)
- Developed internal company web applications in PHP
- Designed imaginative and colourful websites with Photoshop
- bchosting.com, xxxhosting.com
Internet PM - Corporate Web Designer (2001 - 2002)
- Worked with a team to maintain a network of websites
- Designed and formatted weekly corporate publications
Areas of Expertise
Game programming in Unity (C#), Flash (AS3), Java and PHP. Ten years of experience developing PC, mobile, VR, and browser-based games.
Game development as a leader and creator of independent games for PC, mobile and web. Producer, designer, programmer, writer, publisher, community manager. Sometimes even an artist. Managed contractors and other team members, Kickstarter campaigns and Steam releases.
Application architecture/design at the system, function and unit levels for Web-based application systems in multi-tier environments of over 200 users, multiple sites (30+) and 100+ screens, forms, and reports.
Web and graphic design using Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash, hand-coded HTML and advanced CSS techniques. Design projects varied from corporate identity and professional web application interfaces, to public entertainment and e-commerce websites.
Data modeling and database design, integration, deployment and administration using MS SQL Server (2000/2005) and MySQL. Databases ranged in size from simple to 200+ tables and covered data migration and conversion activities.
- .NET (Unity/C#)
- Java EE / JSP
- HTML / CSS
- Visual Studio
- Adobe Animate (Flash)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Google App Engine
- Amazon AWS
- Windows, Linux, MacOS